If ever there was a manual to Industry 4.0, this is it. Exhaustively prepared by Nokia’s industry experts. Answers all the big questions, including the biggest one: how does 5G fit into this?
This thorough yet approachable look at how the industry can leverage the efficiency, security, and productivity benefits of Industrial-grade Private Wireless (and be 5G-ready) reveals use cases across key industries — and is perfect for sharing with anyone who needs to get up to speed.
In this article we look at how industrial-grade private wireless can help ambitious companies do extraordinary things, zooming in on practical use cases in five key sectors on the frontier of Industry 4.0:
- Airports; Connect and control your digital airport with a dedicated, reliable, and secure network.
- Manufacturing: Create intelligent, agile factories with flexible, industrial-grade connectivity.
- Mining: Robust, high-performance connectivity for the digital mine.
- Ports: Connect everyone and everything throughout your terminal.
- Utilities: Control and optimize smart grids with ultra-reliable connectivity.
Make Industry 4.0 a reality
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless is here
Conclusion: From now to next with Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless
Go Allwhere with Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless
Make Industry 4.0 a reality
The fourth industrial revolution is well underway – but how are organizations able to turn the possibilities of Industry 4.0 into operational realities?
The technologies – industrial IoT, AI, machine learning, and more – are available to help you sharpen your competitive edge, bringing automation-powered efficiency, turn-on-a-dime agility, and increased safety, security, and compliance.
But gaining all those advantages hinges on one thing: connectivity.
The trouble is, the wireless networks that most campuses rely on simply weren’t built for business-critical industrial use cases. They were designed for tasks such as web browsing and email communications, and they’re characterized by unpredictable performance, patchy coverage, and poor security.
To make Industry 4.0 work for your organization, you need industrial-grade, pervasive wireless connectivity. With a private LTE/4.9G network, you can deliver real competitive advantage right now using your existing ecosystem of machines, sensors, and systems. And you can prepare your organization for what’s next – a seamless transition to 5G.
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless is here
The LTE networks that were once only available to telcos are now within reach for industrial enterprises
Governments around the world have been designating LTE spectrum for industry, and Nokia has been pioneering small cell technology ideal for private industrial networks. That means you can deploy a private wireless network with 4.9G capabilities that’s ready to meet your needs today, with a clear roadmap for a simple evolution to 5G tomorrow.
You can meet critical operational connectivity requirements with a dedicated LTE network built to handle the demands of industrial applications, offering you:
- Intrinsic security no LTE network has ever been compromised
- Mission-critical reliability for near-continuous operations
- Deep, wide coverage to connect everyone and everything
- Predictable performance for industrial automation and real-time asset coordination
- High capacity to easily handle the rapid growth of devices, sensors, and data
- Greater operational control and flexibility to enhance safety and respond quickly to changing business needs
- Effortless mobility built on trusted 3GPP mobile standards
Connect and control your digital airport with a dedicated, reliable and secure network
Today’s airport operators rely on vast quantities of data to keep aircraft flowing through their airports and ensure passengers’ journeys are as smooth as possible. In the digital airport, an increasing amount of processes will be digitized and require reliable, secure wireless communication to provide operational excellence and enhanced passenger experience. The digitalization of processes will affect every operation and airport stakeholder, from baggage handlers and ground service managers to APOC staff and emergency responders.
Airports currently use a mix of siloed, wireless technologies for these operations and to connect stakeholders. Often though there is no clear evolution path for these technologies, and some lack quality of service or have coverage issues while preventing the airport from optimizing stakeholder communication. Such a siloed approach does not support the wireless platform for the digital airport.
That’s why airports need private wireless. A private wireless platform will become a strategic asset to the digital airport.
Enhance efficiency and effectiveness – from APOC to apron
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless provides a dedicated, secure wireless network that prioritizes operational traffic and protects your initial investment with a clear roadmap from 4.9G to 5G.
It provides guaranteed coverage and capacity, both terminal and airside for greater situational and operational awareness, and ensures reliable connectivity to enable faster more efficient aircraft turnaround processes. It also allows airports to unify communication between all stakeholders for better decision making and offers the quality of services based around the different stakeholder needs.
From now to next
- Aircraft turnaround processes: Dedicated wireless to guarantee coverage and capacity for digitalizing and optimizing the turnaround processes (below and above the wing)
- Marshall applications: Real-time data for ‘follow me’ cars on runway activity and projected flight traffic
- Situational and operational awareness: Reliable, flexible video connectivity for real-time insight into incidents as well as air quality, noise, vehicle tracking and speed sensors for additional insights
- Operational efficiency: Digital work orders prevent staff from having to return to HQ for new orders. Secure wireless CCTV allows for stand analytics with cameras flexibly positioned at airside
Aircraft turnaround processes
Get unprecedented connectivity for critical communications and real-time insights across your airside operations.
Give marshallers instant updates on all runway activity so they can guide pilots to the right locations more efficiently. Secure and accelerate turnaround times with reliable wireless connectivity to tablets, baggage scanners, and other below wing tasks. And use pervasive connectivity to deliver real-time updates for the above wing process: directly to pilots’ electronic flight bags and tablets of cabin crew within the aircraft.
- Reliable, secure connectivity for airside operations
- Real-time runway and flight information in ‘follow me’ cars
- Scan and process baggage more efficiently
- Superior coverage throughout the entire airport site
- Update pilot’s EFB and latest passenger info to cabin crew tablets
“We are delighted to be among the first using a private LTE network in Finland […] the Nokia solution currently being rolled out is unique; we expect it to provide unprecedented capacity and resilience for our critical airport services.” Harri Karjalainen, CIO, Finavia
Enhanced operational awareness
Respond faster to changing operational needs and emergency incidents with greater situational awareness.
Increase APOC situational awareness and emergency responder effectiveness with reliable connectivity for remote control vehicle-mounted PTZ cameras on vehicles or at strategic locations, and use of bodycams. Deploy emergency responders faster and better prepared with rapid video analysis. Position wireless CCTV cameras anywhere to eliminate blind spots and gain visibility of your entire site.
- Wireless CCTV cameras for blind spot removal
- PTZ cameras on vehicles
- Connected bodycams with Push-to-Video
- Enhanced APOC situational awareness
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless gives you a dedicated network that solves the unique connectivity challenges your airport faces now – and will be a strategic asset to your airport’s digital strategy.
Create intelligent, agile factories with flexible, industrial-grade connectivity
In the manufacturing sector – the crucible of Industry 4.0 – operations have already been transformed by IIoT technologies and higher levels of automation. But now there’s increasing pressure on manufacturers to ramp up their agility, flexibility, and responsiveness even further to meet fast-changing consumer demands.
That means providing reliable, resilient, wireless connectivity to support extreme automation and rapid reconfiguration on dynamic assembly lines. And it means enabling seamless collaboration between humans, robots, and AMRs, helping to increase productivity and efficiency.
The trouble is, an Ethernet infrastructure is expensive and will limit the possible applications of Industry 4.0. And whilst Wi-Fi is more adaptable, it’s limited in reliability, security, predictable performance and will fail to meet future requirements.
Unleash the full potential of Industry 4.0
Nokia private wireless provides a dedicated, industrial-grade mobile network built to deliver the flexibility to rapidly reconfigure and retool production lines for quickly responding to changing demands.
A low-latency, the high-reliability network supports remote control and context-aware collaborative robots and AMRs. High-performance, resilient, and secure connectivity helps realize the productivity increases and cost reductions promised by Industry 4.0 technologies. And with LTE/4.9G technology that seamlessly evolves to 5G, manufacturers can prepare today for tomorrow’s 5G applications with minimal capital investment.
From now to next
- Predictive maintenance: Real-time data and advanced analytics to minimize downtime
- Digital twin: Increased insight and mobility to support dynamic, flexible production lines
- Machine connectivity: Secure, resilient LTE/4.9G to connect machines, robots, devices, and people
- Intelligent AMRs: High performance and low latency to increase AMR autonomy
Get reliable wireless connectivity to see, understand, and control your entire factory for greater agility and productivity.
Gain deeper insights through increased data collection to develop virtualized models of both machines and production lines, and understand how changes will impact equipment performance and reconfiguration to meet on-demand manufacturing. Monitor every aspect of the factory environment to keep production quality high – and enable predictive maintenance to keep downtime low. Use private wireless and digital twin technology to improve the reliability and operational efficiency of equipment and production lines.
- Increased reliability of equipment and production lines
- Improved OEE through reduced downtime and improved performance
- Improved productivity
- Reduced risk in various areas including product availability, marketplace reputation, and more
“For factory employees, the automation of our Oulu manufacturing environment increases flexibility and adaptability. The ‘conscious factory’ has evolved the working ecosystem – increasing motivation and the wellbeing of employees by automating the traditionally repetitive tasks, making work more diversified and productive.” Heikki Romppainen, Head of Oulu Factory, Nokia
Create a resilient, low-latency network to support smarter, safer, more collaborative AMRs.
Get secure, high-performance connectivity to empower intelligent AMRs with context-awareness and open-path navigation for obstacle and collision avoidance. Connect data and systems across the plant to keep AMRs up to date on changes in flexible production lines. And use real-time data from onboard cameras and sensors to enable smarter collaboration between your human and autonomous workforce.
- Intelligent, open-path navigation
- Increased interactivity with workers, AMRs, and unexpected changes
- Self-positioning using Edge cloud-stored plans, factory digital twins and sensor data
- Context adaptable
Nokia private wireless gives you a dedicated, industrial-grade network that solves the unique connectivity challenges your factories face now – and the ones they’ll face next.
Robust, high-performance connectivity for the digital mine
With rapid shifts in supply and demand, stringent environmental constraints, and hefty regulatory mandates, it’s no surprise that mining companies are accelerating their move to automation.
Automating critical processes – from drilling and blasting to hauling and crushing – will be vital to increasing operational efficiency and mine productivity while improving worker safety. But providing the robust wireless connectivity that’s so essential for extreme automation is beyond the capabilities of today’s Wi-Fi networks. They were designed for sending emails, not automating mining operations – while TETRA and P25-based radio networks were never built for broadband data or video communications.
For mines to realize the promise of automation, they need industrial-grade private wireless.
Increase safety, efficiency, and productivity – in open pit and underground mines
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless delivers robust, reliable, and secure low-latency connectivity to support safer, more productive, and efficient mines.
Greater network coverage and capacity make it simpler to manage and automate remote operations. An intrinsically secure, high-performance wireless network provides a single, dedicated infrastructure for critical communications and digital mining applications. And with a fraction of the configuration, management, and maintenance costs of Wi-Fi networks, private wireless offers a cost-effective way to deploy advanced 4G connectivity now and be ready for 5G tomorrow.
From now to next
- Automated drilling and blasting: Safer, more precise, and near-continuous operation
- Automated loading, hauling and rail operations: Optimum efficiency and minimum downtime from pit to port
- Operation-critical communications: Reliable, secure connectivity for person-to-person communication and remote operations
- Situational awareness: Increased safety and sustainability with full visibility on people, assets and infrastructure through IoT sensors, CCTV cameras, and drones
Monitor all mining operations in real-time to respond quickly to critical events.
Use data from IoT sensors, cameras, and drones to gain 360° situational awareness for remote operations. Understand and remediate issues quickly, connecting machines, vehicles, and personnel using a single converged network for all communications, broadband, video, and IoT data. And improve worker safety with video feed analytics enabling timely removal of remote workers from hazardous situations.
- 360° situational awareness
- IoT sensors monitor machines, vehicles, environment, and workers’ safety/health
- Analytics for video feeds
- Data connectivity from/to machinery, vehicles, staff and IoT sensors
“This is an important milestone for Minera Las Bambas as it will enable a series of new automation technology solutions increasing productivity in our mining operation as well as supporting more advanced automation to improve worker safety.” Miguel Canz, Regional Technology Manager at Minera Las Bambas
Gain wireless network coverage, capacity and reliability to support 24/7 operations. Use ultra-reliable, industrial-grade, low-latency wireless connectivity to power autonomous drilling and hauling for near-continuous mining operations. Level up your autonomous fleet with AI decision-making and predictive alerts to avoid obstacles and collisions. And monitor all your remote, automated operations in real-time for complete visibility and control.
- Remote operations monitoring
- Autonomous drilling and hauling
- AI decision-making and predictive alerts
- Obstacle and collision avoidance
- 24/7 operations
“As the leader in autonomous haulage technology, we are firmly on our way to helping the industry move the next billion tons of material with autonomous technology. We have come together with Nokia to further this vision of delivering increased value to the mining industry.” Luiz Steinberg, Komatsu Global Officer and President/CEO of Modular Mining Systems
Nokia private wireless gives you a dedicated, industrial-grade network that solves the unique connectivity challenges your mines face today – and the ones they’ll face tomorrow.
Connect everyone and everything throughout your terminal
With dynamically changing volumes of container traffic – that grow relentlessly each year – staying on top in the competitive container port industry means constantly striving for new levels of operational excellence.
The pressure is on to boost efficiency throughout terminal operations, whether by optimizing manned operations, increasing automation, or even rolling out such smart port concepts like workflow optimization across stakeholders and their berth, yard, rail, and road traffic. And all of this needs to be done in extremely hazardous environments, where worker safety is a key priority.
Today’s Wi-Fi networks aren’t up to the task. It’s time for industrial-grade private wireless.
See, understand and control your entire terminal
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless delivers resilient, secure connectivity for critical communications and operational applications on a dedicated network – with coverage that reaches every corner of the terminal.
A reliable, high-performance network provides a seamless connection between the terminal operating system (TOS) and drivers and equipment anywhere in the container yard, helping increase container throughput. Real-time situational awareness and greater visibility of a large number of moving elements help enhance safety across the terminal. And because there’s far less infrastructure to buy, install and maintain compared to existing wireless networks, it’s easy and cost-effective to retrofit an LTE network today that’s ready for 5G tomorrow.
From now to next
- Industrial wireless for manned operations: Highly available and reliable connectivity – even between container stacks – to increase TOS efficiency and container yard productivity
- Voice communications: Advanced communications capabilities on a secure converged network
- Industrial wireless for (semi-) automated operations: Predictable, low-latency connectivity for smart port applications, such as crane remote control or automated AGVs
- Worker safety: Real-time workforce safety and fatigue monitoring
- Drone inspection: High-value asset monitoring and increased situational awareness
Enhanced operational control
Get complete visibility of operations with a single, predictive view of your entire terminal area.
Connect personnel through reliable, secure voice apps on a single converged network – and keep them protected with remote safety monitoring from wearable sensors and connected personal protective equipment (PPE). Use robust mobile broadband to pass data between vehicles, cranes, and employees. And get broader container terminal coverage from a minimized infrastructure for more efficient connectivity and monitoring of all assets.
- Real-time information from sensors and other devices
- Low-latency data connectivity to cranes, vehicles, and staff
- Reliable voice connectivity to personnel
- Minimized infrastructure for full terminal coverage
“Cargo handling needs to become even more efficient and agile. For that we need to embrace IoT and digitalization. We must connect sensors, automatically locate the assets, and enhance the workers’ capabilities with augmented reality.” Niko Arola, Terminal Manager, Steveco
Improved yard operations
Get industrial-grade wireless infrastructure for complete control of all manned and remote operations throughout your (semi-) automated port.
Stay in constant touch with the condition of cargo in reefer containers remotely, with instant alarms from IoT sensors monitoring temperature, airflow, humidity, and light. Use real-time insights from multiple CCTV and drone video feeds to make better-informed decisions about resource planning and emergencies. And rely on a resilient, highly available wireless network that can support all your terminal operations – all day, every day – helping increase container throughput.
- IoT sensors to monitor temperature, airflow, humidity, and light
- Reduce operational costs and risk of cargo loss
- Instant alarm data for rapid response and repair
- Lower costs for container monitoring services
- Increase container terminal throughput
“A port is never static, this is where private LTE really shines, with great coverage, a lot of capacity, and support for mobile broadband.” Jouko Tuppurainen, VP Sales, Ukkoverkot
Nokia private wireless gives you a dedicated, industrial-grade network that solves the unique connectivity challenges your port faces now – and the ones it will face next.
Control and optimize smart grids with ultra-reliable pervasive connectivity
The ground is shifting beneath the feet of power utilities. From fossil fuels to renewables, from centralized to distributed energy generation, and from cumbersome, manual processes to smart, automated systems. Renewable energy generation by consumers and advances in battery storage are also bringing enormous changes to the way the distribution grid works.
In this new landscape, utilities are striving to modernize power grids and optimize grid performance to dynamically balance supply with demand – while seeking to reduce the expense and complexity of managing multiple field area networks (FANs) that connect the applications and devices that monitor, control and automate various grid functions.
The old wireless networks are beginning to feel the strain and realizing the productivity benefits of digitalization and automation will require a new communications infrastructure. One that can also offer a platform for new associated business models and, as always, make sure safety and reliability remain a priority.
The answer? Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless.
Connect everything across your grid and everyone
Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless provides efficient, reliable mission-critical connectivity for all grid equipment, applications, and personnel on a dedicated converged network.
A secure private network offers the capacity to cope with the growing volume and variety of data while utilizing Quality of Service (QoS) for priority treatment of mission-critical traffic to realize the required performance. Resilient, highly available connectivity enables more efficient ways of working in the field. And with LTE/4.9G technology today, and a seamless transition to 5G tomorrow, Private Wireless can empower your move to smart grids right now – and help you make them even smarter in the future.
From now to next
Where can your utility use industrial-grade private wireless?
- SCADA – Traditional and IEC 61850
- Distributed generation and storage
- Distribution system teleprotection
- Advanced metering infrastructure
- Distribution automation
- Wind farm
- Workforce data and video
- Microgrids, Home area networks
- Demand response
- Synchrophasors in the distribution network
- Wide area situational awareness
- Flexible AC transmission systems
- Dynamic line rating
- Field force AR/VR
- And more…
Get reliable, secure wireless connectivity to increase automation and manage growing distributed energy resources across your smart grid.
Appropriately connect all grid applications, sensors, and equipment in real-time to enable greater automation with a solution that includes edge computing for applications with very low latency requirements.
Combine LTE/5G and IP/MPLS in a solution to simplify operations and optimize performance by leveraging proven mission-critical WAN service, security, and management to create a single, consistent communications environment that now extends to critical devices at the grid edge.
Empower the distribution grid applications that improve reliability and outage management, voltage management, equipment health monitoring, and DER integration.
- Application-specific FAN convergence reduces cost and enhances flexibility
- Low latency connectivity for digitalization, automation and interconnected growing distributed generation and storage
- Extend proven WAN mission-critical service, security, and management environment to critical devices at the grid edge to optimize their performance and simplify operations
Connectivity and analytics for insight to reduce costs and lost productivity while optimizing asset lifecycles.
Get near-real-time insight into the condition of remote assets – from wind turbines to distribution grid assets. Use private wireless to collect IoT sensor data from wind turbines and analytics to enable preventative maintenance to reduce costly unexpected asset failures and lost energy productivity due to downtime, while optimizing asset investment lifecycles.
Perform data processing and analytics on site for low latency, time-sensitive applications such as the automated early shutdown of turbines to avoid cascading damage.
And keep onsite workers safe and productive with reliable coverage for Push-to-Talk and Push-to-Video communications.
- Private wireless, IoT and analytics for wind farm operations optimization
- Predictive maintenance enabled by timely sensor data and analytics reduces costly and unexpected asset failures and lost energy
- Reliable coverage improves onsite worker safety and productivity
Nokia private wireless gives you a dedicated, industrial-grade network that solves the unique connectivity challenges your organization faces now – and the ones it will face next.
Conclusion: From now to next with Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless
To compete today, you need to transform your operations now. But it’s difficult to get the most out of the Industry 4.0 technologies that will support your transformation when you’re relying on existing wireless networks that just aren’t up to the task.
You need industrial-grade private wireless: a dedicated LTE/4.9G network that offers the predictable performance, massive coverage and capacity, and built-in security and mobility of 4.9G right now – and a simple evolution into 5G next.
Go Allwhere with Nokia Industrial-grade Private Wireless
We deliver dedicated, networks that solve unique, industrial-scale challenges. It gives you:
- Distribution automation: Resilient, secure wireless for holistic grid management
- Remote management of resources: Reliable connectivity to remote locations for greater visibility and control
- Reliability: Support efficient, round-the-clock operations and enhance worker safety
- Security: Gain peace of mind with an intrinsically secure, private network
- Capacity: Handle multiple HD video streams and thousands of sensor feeds
- Performance: Enable extreme automation, real-time coordination, and autonomous operations
- Agility: Make rapid operational adjustments to meet changing demands
- Choice: Deploy on-premises or in the cloud, owned or as-a-service
- Connectivity: Connect every site, device, asset and person for greater visibility, control, and collaboration