We are excited to announce the general availability of the Microsoft Graph API for Microsoft Purview eDiscovery (Premium) to help you automate common eDiscovery workflows and integrate 3rd party applications into eDiscovery (Premium). This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 63068.
Script common eDiscovery actions using the Microsoft Graph REST APIs. APIs include, but are not limited to: Case, Custodian, Search, Review Set, and Export management. The graph APIs will first be released to the Microsoft Graph beta endpoints, and then ultimately to production in the More Information link below. APIs will show up in preview as they are completed and available in production after most common scenarios are completed.
When this will happen
Microsoft Graph API for Microsoft Purview eDiscovery (Premium) is now generally available.
How this will affect your organization
In many organizations, eDiscovery workflows are frequent, critical, and high volume. In the cases where there are common repeated tasks or a high volume of activities, the API will help provide a scalable way to repeat processes consistently and effectively.
- Tenants can use the Graph API to integrate with 3rd party or in-house legal systems, holds databases, or review tools to automate workflows.
- Partners can use the Graph API to build applications that enhance the Microsoft Purview eDiscovery (Premium) capabilities.
For more details, refer to the Graph API reference documentation: Use the Microsoft Graph eDiscovery API
Note: The following eDiscovery endpoints (preview) are currently only available in beta.
- Search > Purge data (preview)
- Hold policy (preview)
- eDiscovery export operation (preview)
- eDiscovery export operation > Get download URL (preview)
- Review set > Export (preview)
- Review set > Query > Export (preview)
- Review set > Query > Run (preview)
- eDiscoveryFile (preview)
What you need to do to prepare
- Manage your eDiscovery workflows
- Use the Microsoft Graph eDiscovery API
- Microsoft Graph Security API overview
- Microsoft Graph REST API v1.0 endpoint reference
The following licenses provide the rights to the APIs for eDiscovery (Premium) capabilities:
- Microsoft 365 E5/A5
- Microsoft 365 E5/A5/F5 Compliance and F5 Security & Compliance
- Microsoft 365 E5/A5/F5 eDiscovery and Audit
- Microsoft 365 Office E5/A5
Note: The use of the ‘addToReviewSet’ API requires an E5 license (listed above) which provides a seeded capacity without consumption cost until the seeded capacity is reached. Seeded capacity is how much volume an app can consume before having to pay usage fees. Capacity is pooled at the tenant level—the seeded capacity for all users in the tenant is added up and compared against the app’s usage in the tenant. Once seeded capacity is exceeded, consumption meters will kick in. Consumption meter charges for the ‘addToReviewSet’ API usage beyond available seeded capacity is planned to commence in CY2023. A 90-day notice will be provided before these charges go into effect.
|API||Seeded capacity||Price for additional use||Example|
|addToReviewSet||1 GB per licensed user per month – pooled at the tenant level||$15/GB||An organization with 10,000 E5 licenses will get 10,000 GB per month pooled at the tenant level.
If the organization uses 10,500 GB a month they will be charged $7,500 (500 GB x $15/GB).
If the organization uses 9500 GB a month, they will not get charged any additional fee for the API usage and there is no carry over of 500 GB to the following month.
Message ID: MC405571
Published: 25 July 2022
Updated: 25 July 2022