Quick launch summary
You can now add people chips directly into a Google Sheet. These chips allow you to quickly view more information about colleagues or contacts, including their location, job title, and contact information. You can also take actions such as booking a meeting, starting a Chat, sending an email, and more, directly from a smart chip. This feature is already available for Google Docs.
To insert a people chip, type “@” in any cell to search your directory or by selecting Insert > People chip.
- Admins: There is no admin control for this feature.
- End users: This feature will be available by default. To insert a smart chip in a cell, press “@” or by selecting Insert > People Chip. Visit the Help Center to learn more about using smart chips in Google Sheets.
- Rapid Release and Scheduled Release domains: Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility) starting on November 17, 2021
- Available to all Google Workspace customers, as well as G Suite Basic and Business customers
- Available to users with personal Google accounts
- Google Help: Insert smart chips to get information on people, files, dates & events
- Google Workspace Updates Blog: Mention a user directly within a Google Doc
- This feature was listed as an upcoming release.