Behold the hot new tech hitting shelves this holiday season and ways to secure yours. You may find value in Norton’s brand new guide on the most-anticipated tech gifts of the 2020 holiday season and how to secure these new gadgets via their security features (for instance, by adjusting location services to limit which apps track you and when).
Spoiler alert: IoT devices are topping holiday wishlists, and consumers are shopping online more than ever:
- 58% on computers
- 43% on phones
- 22% on tablets
The Most Anticipated Gifts: IoT Devices
- STEM Toys: 26% of adults plan to purchase connected devices that foster learning
- Smart Homes: Home automation revenue is expected to grow 40% through 2021
- Video Games: 40% of holiday shoppers intend to buy games, including video games
What is Device Security?
Device security applies to every electronic or piece of tech your own. It refers to the measures you take to protect your personal data and online privacy on those devices.
Holiday Tech by the Numbers
What we’re hoping for and how we’re purchasing in 2020. The Tech at the Top of Wish Lists:
- Video Game Consoles
2020 Shopping Patterns
- $135 billion is how much US consumers are expected to spend on tech
- 44% of holiday shoppers will show online
- $139 is how much, on average, holiday shoppers will spend on electronics
Security Features to Know
Consider the following risks and remedies as you walk through these device settings.
- The Risk: Oversharing your location with apps
- The Fix: Adjust location services to limit which apps track you and when
- The Risk: Letting your device listen too often
- The Fix: Be diligent about muting IoT devices when not in use
- The Risk: Public Wi-Fi and others lurking on it
- The Fix: Disable your auto-join feature in public settings
- The Risk: Outdated software means your data isn’t utmost protected
- The Fix: Enable automatic software updates
Security Best Practices
Follow these steps to set yourself – and your new devices – up for cyber-safety success.
- Antivirus Softwares
- Password Manager
- Software Updates
- App Permission
- Privacy Policies
- Wi-Fi Connections