Updated September 27, 2022: We have updated this message to show as intended. Thank you for your patience.
As communicated in our earlier message center post (MC343434 March ’22), we made updates to Teams related usage report in the Microsoft 365 admin center (and corresponding graph APIs) to be more accurate and upgraded. Considering the underlying data source was revamped, it also introduced differences in the usage data reported by Microsoft 365 admin center vs usage data in Teams admin center.
As promised earlier, to bring in consistency across different reporting surfaces, we are updating the Teams admin center usage reports and end user analytics in Teams with same underlying data source as Microsoft 365 Admin Center Teams usage reports.
We apologies for the actual rollout delay than what was planned earlier.
When this will happen
The changes to Microsoft 365 admin center usage reports are already available to all customers as preview.
We’ll be rolling out this change in late September through early October progressively for public and all government cloud customers.
Once this rollout is complete, these refresh changes will be called GA (general availability).
How this will affect your organization
- Individual usage metrics reported in different reports will have data consistency across Teams and M365 admin center usage reports.
- Individual usage metrics presented in end user analytics in Teams will have data consistency with admin center usage report metrics.
- The Graph APIs for the usage data will have data consistency with the usage reports.
- Refresh frequency of reporting data will be consistent across all reporting surface to avoid inconsistent data reporting.
- In addition to 7/30/90 days of aggregated metrics, Teams admin center usage reports and end user analytics for teams will have additional 180 days aggregated metrics. Thus, historical usage data up to 180 days will be available for reporting.
- Teams app usage report is updated to include more reporting metrics, data quality fixes for reported metrics and usage for Line of business applications as well. (Available only for Public/worldwide cloud customers)
- Team App usage and Teams team usage report will be available in both Teams admin center as well as M365 admin center.
- Teams user activity report and Team usage report is updated to include shared channel related usage metrics.
How to prepare
Considering the underlying data source powering Teams admin center usage reports, M365 admin center Teams usage report & end user analytics in Teams is changing, there might be some differences in historical data reported (less than 5%). However, the data across all these reporting surfaces will be consistent going forward. This change is part of our ongoing commitment to offer reliable and accurate reporting for product usage.
More Documentation with details for these changes:
- M365 admin center usage reports: Microsoft 365 admin center activity reports – Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn
- Teams admin center usage reports: Microsoft Teams analytics and reporting – Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn (will be updated before actual rollout)
- End user analytics in Teams: View analytics for your teams (microsoft.com) (will be updated before actual rollout)
- Graph API for different Teams usage reports: Microsoft 365 usage reports in Microsoft Graph | Microsoft Learn
Message ID: MC437554
Platform: Developer, World tenant