We want to make you aware of upcoming changes as we prepare for the transition from Stream (classic) to Stream (on SharePoint).
1. Provisioning of Stream classic by default to stop for new customers
- For new customers with the requisite Stream license, if a user accessed Stream (classic) for the first time via URL or tile in Microsoft 365 app launcher, it provisioned classic Stream for them.
- Coming soon, this is going to stop. Stream (classic) will no longer be provisioned by default for such customers.
2. Stream tile in Microsoft365 app launcher to go to the new Stream app on Office.com
- Stream (Classic) is transitioning to Stream (on SharePoint). Until Stream (Classic) fully retires, you can decide which Stream experience is most appropriate for your users when they click on the Stream tile from the Microsoft 365 application launcher via a new setting that was added to the SharePoint admin center in July 2022. MC381948
- This setting is the “Stream App launcher tile” and currently has a default option of “Automatically switch to Stream (on SharePoint) when recommended” which will send users to Stream (Classic) when they click the Stream tile.
- Coming soon, we will automatically change the “Stream app launcher tile” setting’s default option to send users to Stream (on SharePoint) instead.
In addition, if your organization has never used Stream (Classic) in the past, we will no longer let you use that experience and instead you will use Stream (on SharePoint).
When this will happen
- Standard: Rollout will begin mid-October and complete by mid-November.
- GCC: Rollout will begin mid-October and complete by mid-November.
How this will affect your organization
1. If you are already using Stream (classic), there is no change for your organization.
- If no user from your tenant has accessed Stream (classic) before 17th October, it will not be provisioned for your organization
2. If you’ve not already changed the “Stream app launcher tile” setting and have kept the default, then your users will be taken to the new Stream (on SharePoint) experience when this change is rolled out.
What you need to do to prepare
1. No action is needed with regards to provisioning of Stream classic.
2. If you do not want your users automatically directed to the new experience, you’ll need to take action to change the setting for your organization.
To set the Stream tile destination in the Microsoft 365 app launcher:
Step 1: Go to the Settings page of SharePoint admin center and sign in with an account that has admin permissions
Step 2: Select Stream App launcher tile
Step 3: Select Stream (Classic) if you want your users to remain navigating to Stream (Classic) from the Stream tile.
Step 4: Select Save. It takes about 5 minutes for this change to take effect.
Message ID: MC419387
Published: 24 August 2022
Updated: 24 August 2022
Platform: Online, US Instances, Web, World tenant