As a part of our extensibility vision and first release to Microsoft Graph, we are introducing three new APIs for retention labels, events, and event types in the Microsoft Graph beta environment. These APIs will enable you to customize and extend on what we have built in the product so far.
These APIs can be used by compliance admins and developers to manage retention labels in Data Lifecycle and Records Management solutions.
This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 88276.
The first release of Graph APIs for Microsoft Purview Data Lifecycle Management will enable organizations to create and manage retention labels, events, and event types for event-based retention.
When this will happen
The APIs began rollout to the Microsoft Graph beta environment in mid-July and are now available in preview.
How this will affect your organization
If your organization needs to automate any operation related to retention labels or events, we recommend you achieve this by using the new Graph APIs instead of using PowerShell cmdlets. With Graph, we use REST APIs that support better security, extensibility, and app authentication features.
The three APIs are available under the security node and the endpoints to access them are as follows:
|Labels||security/labels/retentionLabels||Data Lifecycle Management, Records Management|
|Event types||security/triggerTypes/retentionEventTypes||Records Management|
What you need to do to prepare:
Currently, these APIs are supported through delegated permissions only, which are managed through the Graph interface. We are introducing two new permissions which you will need to access these APIs:
Access to Data Lifecycle Management and Records Management features varies based on your Microsoft 365 license level. See Microsoft 365 guidance for security & compliance – Service Descriptions | Microsoft Docs for licensing requirement details.
You can find the Data Lifecycle and Records Management solutions in the Microsoft Purview compliance portal.
- Learn more about retention labels: Create retention labels for exceptions – Microsoft Purview (compliance) | Microsoft Docs
- Learn more about event-based retention: Start retention when an event occurs – Microsoft Purview (compliance) | Microsoft Docs
- DLM and RM Graph APIs at Microsoft Build 2022: Automate and customize retention and deletion scenarios (microsoft.com)
- Graph explorer platform: Graph Explorer | Try Microsoft Graph APIs – Microsoft Graph
- Microsoft Docs > Microsoft Graph > API beta reference > Compliance > Use the Microsoft Graph records management APIs
Message ID: MC415900
Published: 19 August 2022
Updated: 19 August 2022
Platform: Developer, US Instances, Web, World tenant