Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (WXP) are now available as Teams Personal Apps. There are no changes to the existing file open behavior for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in Teams, however there are new abilities that the WXP Personal Apps can provide. Additionally, this change comes with a number of UX improvements to the Office ribbon in Teams to provide a decluttered experience consistent with Office for the Web.
When this will happen
App roll out began June 16, 2022 and will expect to be completed in late July.
How this will affect your organization
New abilities that WXP Personal Apps will provide include:
- Ability to pin the apps to the app bar for easy entry point
- Right click the app icon in the app bar to pop out documents in a new window, to allow multi-tasking between Teams chats and document editing
- App home page to navigate documents, view recommended files, or create new file
Changes to the Office ribbon in Teams include:
- Open in Browser and Open in Desktop App move to the mode menu
- Introduction of the Share menu, consistent with Office for the Web
- Conversation button is removed
- Introduction of in-app Search bar in app header
What you need to do to prepare
No action is required from admins at this time; the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps will be available to all users.
Message ID: MC400957
Published: 15 July 2022
Updated: 15 July 2022