The SharePoint multilingual feature is expanding to include team sites. This new release includes other improvements to the navigation and site title editing experience for users whose preferred language differs from the site’s default language. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 93332.
The SharePoint multilingual feature is expanding to include team sites. This new release includes other improvements to the navigation and site title editing experience for users whose preferred language differs from the sites default language.
When this will happen
We will begin rolling out early June and expect general availability of this feature by mid-September 2022.
How this will affect your organization
Your organization will have more multilingual site options. There are also improvements to how site content for navigational labels, site descriptions, footers and titles are stored and saved. These changes prevent users from editing site content into the wrong language when the site’s default language is different from the user’s preferred language.
Summary of changes:
- Additional language information is provided when editors make changes to navigational labels, site descriptions, footers, and the site’s name.
- The new language information will display even if multilingual settings have not been enabled for the site.
- When editors change site content that is not in their preferred language, it will modify the label instead of creating a translation.
- Additional information can be found in tool tips next to the content that’s being edited to confirm the language.
- Translations for site content can only be created when multilingual settings have been enabled.
What you need to do to prepare
There will not be any changes to your existing instances of multilingual on SharePoint communication sites or how the multilingual feature functions overall. To prepare for this change, let site owners know that they will be able to create team sites in more than one language. Learn more about how to create multilingual SharePoint sites and editing site content.
- SharePoint > Sites > Manage > Create multilingual communication sites, pages, and news
Message ID: MC390752
Published: 09 June 2022
Updated: 09 June 2022