Updated May 05, 2022: We have updated the rollout timeline below. Thank you for your patience.
Two updates are coming for the SharePoint sites that get created for every team and private channel in Microsoft Teams. The first update is to simplify the layout for all private channel sites to make them more useful and easier to navigate between the parent site and the associated team. The second update is to adjust the way site theme and navigation is inherited when the Teams-connected sites are added to a hub site. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 88963.
Every team in Microsoft Teams is connected to a team site in SharePoint. This is also true for private channels in Teams. Private channels are connected to their own unique team site. This update includes improvements to the private channel site home page layout and the way site settings apply to the parent site and associated channel sites.
When will this happen
- Targeted release (select users and entire org): will begin rolling out in mid-April and be complete by late April
- Standard: will begin rolling out in mid-May (previously early May) and be complete by late May
How this will affect your organization
The first update improves the layout for channel (private and shared) sites. The new page layout features the News, Documents, Quick links, and Activity web parts. The Quick links webpart displays links to additional guidance for popular tasks that can improve the value of your site.
The second update improves the relationship between Teams-connected sites and hub sites. This update streamlines the process of associating Teams-connected sites with hub sites.
With this update:
- Hub site associations get managed at the parent site level for the entire team.
- When a Teams-connected site is associated with a hub, the parent site and all channel sites will inherit the hub’s theme and navigation.
- Any private channel sites that are currently associated to a hub will have this connection removed.
What you need to do to prepare
You do not need to do anything to prepare for these updates. However, if you currently have private channel sites associated with hub sites, you will need to plan to associate the parent team site with the hub site once this update reaches your tenant.
Message ID: MC355214
Published: 09 April 2022
Updated: 05 May 2022