Updated May 03, 2022: We have updated the timeline below. Thank you for your patience.
Customer Lockbox is available today for Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business. With this update, we are enabling Customer Lockbox for Microsoft Teams as well. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 86190.
Note: If you are already using Customer Lockbox today, no extra steps are needed to take advantage of this update.
Customer Lockbox ensures that Microsoft cannot access your content to perform a service operation without your explicit approval. Customer Lockbox brings you into the approval workflow for requests to access your content. Customer Lockbox is already available for Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business. This update brings the capability to Microsoft Teams as well.
- Microsoft Teams
When this will happen
- Standard: We will begin rolling this out in late March and expect to complete rollout late April. – Complete
- GCC: We will begin rolling this out in mid-June and expect to complete rollout late June.
- GCC-H: We will begin rolling this out in early September and expect to complete rollout late September.
- DoD: We will begin rolling this out in early-September and expect to complete rollout late September.
How this will affect your organization
Occasionally, Microsoft engineers help troubleshoot and fix issues that arise with the service. In some cases, resolving an issue requires a Microsoft engineer to access your content to determine the root cause and fix the issue. Customer Lockbox requires the engineer to request access from you as a final step in the approval workflow.
- For end users: There is no impact.
- For admins: If there is a service request on the Microsoft Teams product that requires a Microsoft engineer to access your content to determine the root cause and fix the issue, the admin will need to approve or deny such a request.
What you need to do to prepare
If Customer Lockbox is already enabled for your organization, then there is no additional configuration you need to make for this update.
Message ID: MC346909
Published: 26 March 2022
Updated: 03 May 2022
Platform: Online, US Instances, Web, World tenant