OneDrive’s Finder integration is getting an update in macOS 12.1 Monterey based on Apple’s new File Provider platform. With this update, the OneDrive folder will be visible under Locations in the Finder sidebar, providing easy and quick access to all your OneDrive files. Additionally, we will also be updating the Files On-Demand experience and this update will also render a seamless OneDrive experience that feels native on the latest version of macOS. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID: 82033.
We’ve revamped the OneDrive sync experience in macOS based on Apple’s new File Provider platform to improve the Finder experience for OneDrive. We are updating the Files On-Demand experience to a more native look and feel, for the latest version of macOS. This item is currently available in Preview.
Note: OneDrive Files On-Demand, which is enabled by default, helps you view and access all your files, individual or shared, without having to download them and use device storage.
When this will happen
We will begin rolling this out in mid-January and expect to complete rollout early February.
How this will affect your organization
All devices running macOS 12.1 Monterey will receive this update. The main changes to the end-user experience will be a better integrated OneDrive entry point in Finder’s Sidebar and more native-like iconography used for sync status per folder/files.
macOS 12.2 will be the last version that supports the classic Files On-Demand experience. For future macOS versions, this means:
- Files On-Demand will default to on for all users and cannot be disabled.
- Devices will migrate automatically to the new Files On-Demand as soon as they receive a macOS update. You cannot delay this update without also delaying an update to macOS.
- Both our Standalone and App Store versions of OneDrive will have the same behavior.
- Users running a developer or beta version of macOS will have the same experience as a release version of macOS.
What you need to do to prepare
You might want to notify your users about this change and update your training and documentation as appropriate.
- Save disk space with OneDrive Files On-Demand for Mac
- Inside the new Files On-Demand Experience on macOS
Message ID: MC314017
Published: 13 January 2022
Updated: 13 January 2022
Effective: 17 January 2022
#FeatureUpdate #UserImpact #OneDrive
Plan For Change