Microsoft Defender for Endpoint brand name update is coming on macOS.
NOTE: This message applies only to organizations with macOS devices in their environments.
When will this happen
Beginning in late January 2022, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (formerly known as MDATP) will be referenced as “Microsoft Defender” across end user facing MDE experiences on macOS
How this will affect your organization
In late January, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint monthly update will bring end user facing changes when “Microsoft Defender ATP” references are replaced with “Microsoft Defender”. End users will observe the following changes:
- Installation path: The new installation path will be /Application/Microsoft Defender.app
- The previous installation path was /Applications/Microsoft Defender ATP.app (For customers who are relying on the previous path, it will be necessary to change it to new path to ensure that the configuration matches the exact location)
- UX changes:The new brand name will appear on the UX (user experience) as “Microsoft Defender” on every string, such as.The installer name will change to “Microsoft Defender”
- The name will appear on the Activity Monitor as “Microsoft Defender”
- The previous path is in: /Applications/Microsoft Defender ATP.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Defender.app
- The New path will be in: /Applications/Microsoft Defender.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Helper.app
- The tray app will change from “Microsoft Defender” to “Microsoft Defender Helper”
- To eliminate risk of breaking any existing configuration relying on the previous installation path, customers will need to update impacted configurations to point to the installation path.
What you need to do to prepare
Review the following change information to assess if this change may have an impact on your current configuration or end user education. Any end user facing MDE usage guides will need to feature the updated experience with the new “Microsoft Defender” string instead of “Microsoft Defender ATP”.
Refer to MDE (Mac) public documentation for list of system requirements.
Please monitor “what’s new on Mac” page for incremental changes across versions of MDE (Mac).
Message ID: MC305424
Published: 15 December 2021
Updated: 15 December 2021
#UserImpact #AdminImpact #MicrosoftDefender
Plan For Change