We are making a few updates to the SharePoint site template gallery experience. First, you can now decide which Microsoft-provided templates will be available to SharePoint site creators. Second, based on customer feedback, we are updating the “From your organization” template gallery view. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 85566.
SharePoint: SharePoint site template admin controls in PowerShell
PowerShell cmdlets that allow Microsoft-provided SharePoint site templates to be displayed or hidden in the site template gallery in your tenant.
When this will happen
- We will begin rolling out the PowerShell cmdlets to Targeted release (select user and organization) in early November and expect to complete Standard release in late November. The minimum SharePoint PowerShell version required is 16.0.21610.12000.
- We will begin rolling out the new “From your organization” view to Targeted release (select user and organization) in late October and expect to complete for Standard release in early November.
Some users may see this feature before other users within the same organization.
How this will affect your organization
Now you have the choice to use SharePoint PowerShell cmdlets to decide which Microsoft-provided site templates will be displayed or hidden when viewing the site template gallery.
In the template gallery view for customer-provided site templates, templates associated with the type of site you’re on will show in the “Recommended” section. All other customer-provided site templates will show in the “More templates from your organization” section.
For example, if you are on a team site, site templates associated with a WebTemplate value of 64 will be displayed in the “Recommended” section.
What you need to do to prepare
You do not need to do anything to prepare.
Using SharePoint PowerShell cmdlets to display or hide Microsoft-provided templates is optional. If you do not use the PowerShell site template cmdlets, all Microsoft-provided site templates will automatically display in the site template gallery.
- Get-SPOBuiltInSiteTemplateSettings PowerShell cmdlet
- Set-SPOBuiltInSiteTemplateSettings PowerShell cmdlet
- Apply and customize SharePoint site templates (microsoft.com)
- SharePoint site template and site script overview | Microsoft Docs
Message ID: MC294082
Published: 26 October 2021
Updated: 26 October 2021
Plan For Change
#FeatureUpdate #UserImpact #AdminImpact #SharePoint