In our continued efforts to improve the coverage and accuracy of out-of-the-box sensitive information types (SITs), we are adding 5 new SITs and updating the definition of some existing SITs. These new and updated SITs can be used in compliance solutions within the Microsoft 365 compliance center.
- Microsoft 365 suite
When this will happen
New SITs will be available by end of September. Updates to existing SITs will begin rollout in early October and are expected to be complete by late October.
How this will affect your organization
The following new SITs are being added, and will be available for use in compliance solutions such as Data Loss Prevention, Communication Compliance, Sensitivity Labeling, Records Management, and Microsoft Cloud App Security:
- India Driver’s License Number
- India GST Number
- India Voter Id Card
- IP Address v4
- IP Address v6
You can review the definition of these SITs here.
The following existing SITs will soon have updated definitions as outlined below:
- Chile identity card number: Fixed a bug in checksum validation; Added keywords “R.U.T” and “R.U.N”
- Credit Card Number: Added support for RuPay and China UnionPay credit card patterns
- Denmark personal identification number: Delimiter (hyphen or space) after 6 digits has been made optional to reduce false negatives
- Germany identity card number: Updated the definition to adhere to the correct alphanumeric pattern as issued by the relevant authority (Ausweisnummer – Wikipedia); The definition now includes three confidence levels covering identity numbers issued before 2010 as well as issued after 2010.
- Germany passport number: Updated the definition to adhere to the correct alphanumeric pattern as issued by the relevant authority (Ausweisnummer – Wikipedia); To reduce false negatives, also added a low confidence pattern which does not require mandatory keywords in proximity
- New Zealand ministry of health number: Space is no longer needed between letters and digits; Removed keywords “health” and “treatment” from the keyword list
- U.S. driver’s license number: Updated the patterns to include the new patterns being issued by different states
- U.S. / U.K. passport number: Included the alphanumeric pattern of next generation passports which will be issued by U.S. Government going forward
What you need to do to prepare
Your existing policies (including DLP policies) need not be changed. If you are using Germany identity card number or Germany passport number SITs, you may change the confidence level within your policies including Data Loss Prevention, Communication Compliance, Sensitivity Labeling, and Records Management depending on the patterns you wish to detect in your policies. Please refer to the updated SITs definitions for more detail.
Message ID: MC285913
Published: 18 September 2021
Updated: 18 September 2021