We are adding the ability for meeting organizers to pre-create rooms ahead of a meeting start and perform participant assignment tasks (both auto and manual) in advance. This is rolling out on desktop only. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 81390.
Introducing capability for organizer to perform breakout room configuration and participant assignment before the meeting starts.
When this will happen
Rollout will begin mid-October (previously mid-September) and should be complete by late October (previously late September).
How this will affect your organization
Via this capability, organizers of Channel and Private meetings will be able to perform the following Breakout Rooms configuration tasks before a meeting begins:
- Bulk creating / deleting rooms
- Adding / deleting / renaming individual rooms
- Configuring meeting options for each room
- Adjusting settings for breakout rooms session (timer, selecting breakout rooms managers and more)
- Pre-assigning participants via both manual and automatic assignment options
Before a meeting starts, meeting organizers will be able to access a new tab in scheduling form called Breakout rooms that will enable them to pre-create breakout rooms and pre-assign participants.
Breakout Rooms pre-meeting panel
What you need to do to prepare
You might want to notify your users about this new capability and update your training and documentation as appropriate
- During live session, rooms will only be managed via the Breakout Room panel in the meeting itself (organizer or BR manager are required to join the meeting)
- Only invited attendees will be available for assignment, up to 300 participants (At this time, invited channel members will not be available for pre-assignment)
- Use breakout rooms in Teams meetings will be updated after launch.
Message ID: MC278891
Published: 17 August 2021
Updated: 16 September 2021
Effective: September 13, 2021