We will soon begin redirecting users from the legacy Office 365 Security and Compliance center (protection.office.com) to Microsoft 365 Defender portal (security.microsoft.com), for all security workflows including: Alerts, Threat Management and Reports. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 82107.
We will begin automatically redirecting users accessing the security-related capabilities in the Office 365 Security and Compliance center (protection.office.com), to Microsoft 365 Defender (https://security.microsoft.com). These include capabilities in the Threat Management section and the Threat Management dashboard and reports. Items in the Office 365 Security and Compliance Center that are not related to security are not redirected to Microsoft 365 Defender. Customers are able to turn off automatic redirection.
Items in the Office 365 Security and Compliance center that are not related to security will not be redirected to Microsoft 365 Defender. For compliance solutions redirection to Microsoft 365 Compliance Center, see (March 2021, MC244886).
This is a continuation of our migration of the security workflows to the Microsoft 365 Defender portal, which we started in March 2021.
For customers who have already enabled automatic redirection, as part of the previous communication when announcing the New Home for Microsoft Defender for Office 365, automatic redirection will now include alerts and alert policies redirection, in addition to all previously redirected features. As before, customers will still be able to turn off automatic redirection.
Please refer to the redirection support documentation here for additional details.
- Microsoft 365 suite
- Timing: Rollout will begin in mid-September and is expected to be complete by late October.
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Control type: admin control
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization
Users accessing the security solutions in the Office 365 Security and Compliance center (protection.office.com) will be automatically redirected to the appropriate solutions in the Microsoft 365 Defender (security.microsoft.com). This change enables users to view and manage additional Microsoft 365 Defender security solutions in one portal.
- This change impacts all customers who use the Office 365 Security and Compliance center (protection.office.com). For the full list of impacted licenses, see Security & Compliance Center – Service Descriptions | Microsoft Docs.
- This change impacts all users who log into the Office 365 Security and Compliance portal (protection.office.com), including security teams and end-users (who access the Email Quarantine experience).
What you need to do to prepare
Redirection is enabled by default, and impacts all users of the tenant.
Global Administrators and Security Administrators can turn off redirection in the Microsoft 365 Defender portal by navigating to Settings > Email & collaboration > Portal redirection and switch the redirection toggle.
- Redirecting accounts from Office 365 Security and Compliance Center to Microsoft 365 Defender
- Microsoft Defender for Office 365 in Microsoft 365 Defender
Message ID: MC276896
Published: 09 August 2021
Updated: 09 August 2021
Effective: September 13, 2021