This new update will improve the options for subsite creation settings in the SharePoint admin center. Currently, SharePoint admins can control the ability for site owners to create new subsites. This update makes the setting options for new subsite creation easier to understand and prevents users from being able to create subsites using alternate paths when the subsite setting is disabled. This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 82122.
This new update will improve the options for subsite creation settings in the SharePoint admin center.
- SharePoint Online
When this will happen
- Targeted release (entire org): will begin rolling this out in early September and expect to complete rollout mid-September.
- Standard release: will begin rolling this out in late September and expect to complete rollout mid-October.
How this will affect your organization
Admins in the SharePoint admin center can choose to either enable or disable subsite creation across sites or enable for classic sites only. Now, when disabling subsite creation, not only will the subsite option be hidden from the command bar including classic but also users will not be able to create new subsites directly through an URL or API.
- The option: Hide the Subsite command has been renamed to Disable subsite creation for all sites and will also hide the subsite creation command (including classic) and disable users from being able to create new subsites through a URL or API.
- The option: Show the Subsite command only for classic sites, has been renamed to Enable subsite creation for classic sites only.
- The option: Show the Subsite command for all sites, has been renamed to Enable subsite creation for all sites.
What you need to do to prepare
Review the subsite creation options for your organization. You might want to notify users, update your user training, and prepare your help desk if users were relying on creating subsites using the URL or API previously.
Note: Instead of using subsites, we recommend that you use hub sites. SharePoint hub sites allow you to group similar topics and content together using modern architecture design. Plan to create hub sites and share hub site planning guidance with site owners instead of using subsites.
Message ID: MC276029
Published: 06 August 2021
Updated: 06 August 2021
Effective: September 20, 2021