Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, the 2016 Strategy Game of the Year, is currently available in the iOS Apple App Store, with the first 60 turns available to play for free. After 60 turns, you may unlock the full game at today’s sale price of $29.99, sale will end on January 4, 2018. Civilization VI on iPad is regularly priced at $59.99.
Civilization VI requires an iPad Air 2, iPad 2017, or any iPad Pro with iOS 11.0 or later. Please note, Civilization VI on iPad includes the base game only, and does not include additional downloadable or expansion content.
Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier and published by 2K, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to- head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.
Civilization VI offers new ways to interact with your world, expand your empire across the map, advance your culture, and compete against history’s greatest leaders to build a civilization that will stand the test of time. Play as one of 20 historical leaders including Roosevelt (America) and Victoria (England).
— Civilization VI: Rise & Fall (@CivGame) December 21, 2017
Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world. Cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.
According to Aspyr Media, Civilization VI for iPad has been rebuilt with touch controls. The port does not support controllers. Here’s how the touch controls work, according to FAQ on Aspyr Support site:
- Tapping units selects them. Dragging a unit to a tile will move and attack.
- Press and hold to view tooltips.
- Pinch to zoom the map.
- Single-finger scrolling works on lists and moving the map.
- Three-finger tapping can be used to close menus.
The iPad version’s multiplayer modes work only on a local network “as of this point.” As for cross-platform play with the PC versions, Aspyr Media said it does not support that feature “at this time.”
Aspyr Media also confirmed that porting Civilization VI to iPad necessitated some changes to account for the platform’s hardware limitations:
- Strategic View has been removed.
- Leaders use static images only.
- Wonders will not show construction visual effects during the completion animation and have fewer visual stages of construction when being built.
Sid Meier’s Civilization VI for iPad includes:
- EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
- ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
- DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
- COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
- LOCAL MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
- A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems are designed to introduce new players to the underlying concepts of Civilization so they can easily get started on a path to victory.