How to Troubleshoot Screen Flickering in Microsoft Windows 10
Screen flickering in Microsoft Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible app or display driver. To determine whether app or driver is causing screen flickering problem, check to see if Task Manager flickers. Then, based on that information, you’ll need to either update app or display driver.
Check to see if Task Manager flickers
Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys on the keyboard at the same time. If that doesn’t work, right-click Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen and then select Task Manager.
- If Task Manager doesn’t flicker, app is probably causing the problem.
- If Task Manager does flicker, display driver is probably causing the problem.
Update incompatible app
Three apps were previously known to cause screen flickering in Microsoft Windows 10: Norton AV, iCloud, and IDT Audio. In most cases, updating the app or contacting the app manufacturer for an update will fix the problem.
Update display driver
To update display driver, you’ll need to start PC in safe mode, uninstall current display adapter, and then check for driver updates.
- Start PC in safe mode, then right-click Start > Device Manager.
- Expand Display adapters section, right-click listed adapter > Uninstall. Select the Delete the driver software for this device check box, then select OK and restart PC.
- After PC restarts, press Windows logo key + I on keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn’t work, select the Start button and then select Settings.
- From Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.
Note: If you have multiple display adapters, you’ll need to disable the added adapter (often an Intel HD 400 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) by right-clicking it from the list in Device Manager and selecting Disable > Yes. Then, turn off PC, disconnect installation or recovery media (if you’re using it), and turn PC back on. If that doesn’t fix the flickering, restart PC in safe mode, re-enable the added display adapter, and then disable the other adapter.