Skype has outed Skype 5.3 for Mac OSX which will support Lion update, allow Macintosh user to make HD Video Calls, Group video calling, Group screen sharing and backwards compatible with past versions of OS X. Group screen sharing available only with Skype Premium subscription.
Skype 5.3 for Mac OSX also includes number of fixes and improvements to the user interface and enable users to make HD quality video calls if they have an upload/download speed of 1.5Mbps, which cuts out most of the online planet.
There are lots of shortcuts in Skype 5.3 for Mac to help you save time. Skype 5.3 for Mac tricks and tips as below or you can refer to Skype tricks and tips page for more.
1. Call control bar – with video
Need to switch to another app during a video call? No problem. You’ll see the person you’re talking with in a mini-window that floats on top of any files or applications you have open. Mute, end the call, and double click on the window to return to Skype.
2. Switch conversations
Just swipe the trackpad with three fingers to switch between different conversations.
3. Mark as unread
To mark a message as unread just press CMD + SHIFT + U.
Press CMD + SHIFT + M to mute any conversation.
5. Push to Talk
If you’re on mute and want to talk, hold CTRL + OPTION + CMD + UpArrow on yourkeyboard. This works even if you’ve minimised Skype and are using the call control bar.
6. Edit last message
You can edit the last message you sent by pressing CMD + SHIFT + E.
7. Change input field height
Want more room to write? Click and drag the top of the input box to increase its height.
8. See your online contacts when Skype is minimised
If you’re doing other things on your computer, but still like to see which Skype contacts are online, simply hold CMD + 3 to pop them out of Skype into a small sidebar window.
9. Enter a new line
If you want to start a new line in the input box, just hit SHIFT + ENTER.
10. Dial pad
If you make calls to landlines, mobiles or send texts, you can open the dial pad bypressing CMD + 2.
11. Close a conversation
If you want to close a conversation, just hit CMD + W.
12. Assign avatars and new titles in group conversations
To assign a new avatar just double click on the current image and select a new picture. To give the conversation a new title just double click on the current title and enter a new one.
System requirements of Skype 5.3 for Mac as below:
– 1GHz Intel processor
– Mac OS X v10.5.8 (Leopard) or newer.
– 100 MB free disk space.
– Recommend broadband connection with 100 kbps down / 100 kbps up for voice calls.
– For group video calling everyone on the call needs Skype 5.0 for Windows or Mac or higher plus webcams, and at least one person needs group video calling subscription. Skype recommend you use a high-speed broadband connection of 4Mbps down/512kbps up and computer with Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz processor for best quality. Need high-speed broad connection of 512kbps down/128kbps up and computer with 1 GHz processor as minimum requirements for group video calling.
Technical details of Skype 5.3 for Mac
File size: 22 MB
Official date: August 8, 2011
File name: Skype_22.214.171.1244.dmg
Skype 5.0 for Mac or higher does not run on PowerPC-based computers. Download Skype 2.8 for Mac if your computer or operating system does not support Skype 5.3 which runs on PowerPC or Intel-based systems. You can perform below steps to check whether your Mac on Intel or PowerPC-based system:
1. In the top left of your screen, click the Apple symbol and select About this Mac.
2. In the About This Mac window, look at the Processor line to see if your Mac uses an Intel or PowerPC-based processor.
Perform below steps to find out version of Skype that you currently using:
1. Sign in to Skype.
2. In the menu bar, click on Help > About Skype (Skype for Windows) or Skype > About Skype (Skype for Mac)
3. The version of Skype you are using will be displayed.
So what you are waiting for?