Internet Explorer 9 just released by Microsoft yesterday, some of the users may face issue showing error message below and the installation of internet Explorer 9 did not finish during setup.
Internet Explorer Did Not Finish Installing
Setup can’ continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer.
This issue caused by beta, preview build or RC build of Internet Explorer 9 installed on system to prevent final version installation.
A very first step to troubleshoot this error message is to check whether you have previously installed beta, preview build or RC build of Internet Explorer 9. Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a Program > third party software listing and in Installed Updates to see if an earlier build of Internet Explorer 9 is listed there.
Follow below instruction to uninstall Internet Explorer 9:
1. Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click “View installed updates” in the left pane.
2. Under “Uninstall an update”, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then when prompted click Yes.
4. Click one of the following:
* Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
* Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).
If you are using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system, you may still face problem with similar error message when you run the Internet Explorer 9 setup after perform uninstallation steps above.
Refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base entry 2409098, suggested to run the Internet Explorer 9 setup with administrative privileges by right-click on IE9-Windows7-x64-enu.exe and select on Run as Administrator to resolve this error.