Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 is a stand-alone product that provides a reliable and optimized virtualization solution enabling organizations to improve server utilization and reduce costs.
Below are summary of new features in Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2:
– Live migration enables customers to move running virtual machines from one host to another without service interruptions.
– Failover clustering enable support for unplanned downtime.
– Supported up to 8-socket systems and up to 64 cores processor.
– Supported memory up to 1 TB of RAM on a physical system.
– BitLocker support to encrypt Hyper-V Server so that even if it is stolen and hard disks are removed, the data is still safe because it’s encrypted.
– Live Backup support for Volume Shadow Services so that it can provide Live Backup of running virtual machines without downtime.
– Virtual Machine Snapshots
– Updated Server Configuration tool called Server Configuration tool (SConfig.cmd) to simplify the most common configuration tasks such as configure initial settings without having to type command-line strings. Server Configuration tool included in Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 and in the Server Core installation option of Windows Server 2008 R2. There are two configuration options only when you run Server Configuration tool on a server running Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 which are an option to have Server Configuration tool start automatically every time you log on to Hyper-V Server with Administrator account or an option to configure failover clustering.
via TechNet Blogs