Interesting statistic about how the blogosphere operates and more interestingly, how much money the biggest blogs generate every year.
- 6.7 million people blog on blogging sites and 12 million people blog via social networks.
- The leading blogging site in the US is Blogger, which has over 46 million unique visitors each month.
- 23% of Internet time is spent on blogs and social networks.
- 77% of Internet users read blogs.
- 53.3% of bloggers are 21 to 35-year-olds.
- The majority of bloggers are women.
Why blogging is good for your business
- Small businesses with blogs generate 126% more leads.
- Interesting content is one of the top 3 reasons people follow brands on social media.
- 81% of US consumers trust advice and information from blogs.
- Companies that blog have 97% more inbound links.
- B2B marketers using blogs generate 67% more leads.
- Websites with blogs have 434% more indexed pages.
- Websites with blogs have 97% more indexed links.
- 61% of US consumers have made a purchase based on a blog post.
- 37% of marketers believe blogs are the most important type of content marketing.
- 90% of consumers find customer content useful.
- 60% of consumers feel a company’s positivity after reading the site.
- 82% of consumers enjoy reading relevant content from brands.
- 70% of consumers learn about a company through articles rather that ads.
The Five Types of Bloggers
The Part-time Professional
- Uses blogging to supplement income.
- Blogs for fun and doesn’t earn an income.
- Mostly blogs personal musings.
- 60% spend less than three hours a week blogging.
The Full-time Professional
- Blogs as a full-time job.
- Blogs as part of their full-time job or full time for an organization.
- Makes up 8% of blogs.
- Blogs for a company they own.
- Makes yp 13% of blogs.
The Evolution of Blogging
1997 – The term “blog” was coined in 1997, when John Barger called his site a weblog.
2001 – Niche blogs such as Mashable and TechCrunch brought blogging to the mainstream in the 21st century.
Now – Today, news blogs rival mainstream media Social media has made blogging more interactional.
How much do Bloggers earn?
- 14% of Blogger earn a salary through blogging
- $24,086 – average annual earnings
- $33,577 – average annual earnings for corporate bloggers
- $1,000 per year – Half of bloggers paid per post earn less than $25 on average and less than $1,000 per year
Most common ways to generate revenue: Display Ads, Affiliate Marketing Links and Search Ads.
Ways to earn money through Blogging
- Advertising Banners: Advertisers pay for a banner to be displayed.
- CPM Advertising: Advertisers pay for each time an advertisements is seen.
- Pay Per Click: Advertisers pay for each click on their advertisements.
- Affiliate Sales: A portion of sales of recommended items goes to the blogger.
Tips and Tricks
- Get a good domain name
- Use a cheap and reliable web hosting solution
- Choose the advertising that is right for your blog
- Use affiliate programs to sell others’ products
- Market your services to readers
- Use your blog to deepen existing customer relations
- Write quality content
- Use SEO techniques to attract visitors to your blog